Un protected sex and Ejaculating Outside the Vagina

Patient

Q: Hi, I am 17 and I have been with one guy for a long time. we are sexually active and i have been on birth control for over two years (longer then we have been together). i have never missed a pill and take it around the same time daily, when we have sex, he does not use a condom but "pulls out" i understand that there is pre cum, but how safe is this sex...being on birth control and pulling out? thank you!

Doctor

A:   Hello, I understand your concern about unprotected sex. Since you have been taking your oral contraceptives and according to your description of the events, the possibilities of pregnancy are decreased. Oral contraceptives are reliable, especially when used properly like in your case.
It is not 100% accurate that ejaculating outside the vagina alone could prevent pregnancies. There could be sperms present before ejaculation in the pre ejaculation fluid and the concentration of them could be enough to fertilize.  Studies indicate this method is only 50% effective
My suggestion will be to comply with your contraceptive pills; this is what is protecting you the most. Certainly ejaculating outside the vagina will help, but if you want to reduce even more the chances of pregnancy you could combine your pills with barrier methods such as condoms. I