Unable to eat because I have difficulty swallowing

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Unable to eat because I have difficulty swallowing

Patient: For the past 2.5 years, I’ve had a problem with swallowing food and liquids. At first I had difficulty swallowing solids and then developed difficulty swallowing liquids. After swallowing food or liquids, it feels like its stuck in my throat. Most of the time, the food or liquid comes back up but sometimes it goes away on its own. I did a barium swallow, and an endoscopy about a year ago, but the doctors didn’t see anything. I was prescribed Lansoprazole two years ago and stopped taking it after about 3 months because it wasn’t helping. Now most days I’m unable to eat at all and my doctors are not sure what wrong with me. Is there any other test that I can do? Is it possible that im allergic to something? Are there any medications that I can ask my doctor about? Is there anything I can do to help myself with this?

Symptoms: Difficulty Swallowing, Vomiting

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.It seems that you have some sort of gastric problem. Since you were not diagnosed by a B arium scan and the endoscopy, it seems that you have some problem that is tough to diagnose. I recommend that you get another opinion from a Gastric surgeon.He should be able to help you. Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No