Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Unable to sleep at night.

Unable to sleep at night.

Patient: Dear Doctor, since the day i broke up with my boyfriend i find in difficulities to sleep at night.. morning till late night 8pm il be busy with my college stuff and once back hostel after my dinner i have to force my self to go to bed.. and then its takes about more than an hour to sleep but then il be waking up all over again in every an hour… il be checking up the timee then go back to sleep.. this have been contining for about more than a month.. any medication for this ? or can i console on any doctors or should take in any treatment.. thank you

Doctor: I do understand that anxiety and depression is effecting your sleep. It may be difficult to treat insomnia in your case without treating the underlying problem (depresion) first. It may be helpful in your case to consult your doctor and rule out evidence of depression and anxiety which are one of the main causes of insomnia. Treatment of insomnia may require both non-pharmacologic (non-medical) and pharmacologic (medical) aspects, and treatment of each individual varies. I would suggest that you consult your doctor to determine wither the use of benzodiazepines or other non sedatives may be helpful in treating insomnia in your case.

Guest: Dear Sir,
My dad is 59 years old. He got retired from job last 6 months back. when he was in job he was very active, Nowadays , from past 3 – 4 months he is very inactive. he has stopped speaking to others even to others. If we ask something, he just replies to that. Before that he was not like that. he used to spend time with me and my mom, sharing his office matter and all. Even if the TV is ON, he wont see that. he will be in some other world thinking of something…. And the main issue is he is not sleeping well. In the midnight he wakes up and simply sit. If asked, He tells that he is not getting sleepy. And in the daytime, He tends to sleep. wherever he sits.