x
195 Physicians Online

Question:

Unable to straighten leg.

Hi, im asking you this because I have googled my symptoms online and cant find ANYTHING. So here goes. Basically, when I sit upright, I cant extend my left leg out in front of me straight and when I try, I get really bad pains down the back of my thigh. Also, I can extend my right leg out, but this also causes pains down the back of my left thigh. However when I am led down, I can straighten my legs out no problem. Also, I work in an office and when I sit down for a few hours at a time, when I first stand up, I walk with a slight limp. This has been bothering me for approximately 9 months now and its getting increasingly worse. Its got to the stage where I occasionally get pains when I am walking now. Ive been to my doctors twice now and both times he has said it is a sprain without even examining me, and im sorry but what sprain lasts this long?? Additional info would be that im 21, perfectly healthy (apart from this obviously) and dont do any strenous exercise apart from walking to work every morning (45mins).. Really confused as to what this could be.

Answer:

I do understand your concern. The symptoms that you have mentioned can be either to a spasmodic musculo-skeletal strain of your back, sciatica or an impinged nerve caused due to a herniated disc. The only way to diagnose these conditions is by a thorough physical examination and x-ray or CT of the lumbar spine. I would suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further management.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA