Uncomfortable throbbing in penis.

Patient

Q: I have on and off during the day this uncomfortable throbbing in the middle of my penis, where the tube is for urine etc. I am just wondering what this could be? STD's are out of the question because I haven't had sex. Any advice would be great, thank you.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Even though you have not had sexual intercourse yet, it is possible to contract a urinary tract infection (UTI). This can be caused when naturally residing bacteria in the genital region get into the penile urethra, resulting in inflammation. You have not mentioned if you are experiencing burning during urination, or noticed any discharge. You will need to see your doctor and have a urine test conduct to determine if you have a UTI or if this pain could be caused by another problem. If it is a UTI, once it is promptly treated, your symptoms will resolve without complication.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com for your health question.