Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Understanding MRI results

Understanding MRI results

Patient: I’m trying to understand the relsults of my MRI for my shoulder more. My dr said there is mild fraying of the posterior labrum and infraspinatus tendinosis. It fraying the same as a tare?

Symptoms: Pain in shoulder

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Fraying is similar to a tear if not the same. Fraying may indicate a mild degree meaning that not as many of the fibers are torn as in a complete tear or a severe tear.You can usually treat this with:Rest to the areaIcing for 15 mins every hourCompression of the shoulder with a Crepe bandageElevate the shoulder while sleeping to reduce swellingUse Paracetamol/IbuprofenMassage and stretchingIf the pain does not reduce after 3 days, please see a Doctor.