Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Undiagnosed bald patch – possibly scarring alopecia.

Undiagnosed bald patch – possibly scarring alopecia.

Patient: Ever since i was young i have had a bald patch at the back of my head (if you look at my pic i am attempting to display it) for years i just accepted it and just compensated by having my hair long but now i find i want some answers and possible some ideas for treatment. Speaking to my mum she belives that it may be due to wear i had to get fed through a drip when i was in hospital when i was younger but im not sure! it used to be irritating but cannot remember it hurting or itching in years now.Hope someone can helpThanks x

Undiagnosed bald patch - po...-1

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.I have seen the attached picture.I understand your concern.From the picture, it is difficult to comment on whether it is scarring or non scarring alopecia.In scarring alopecia, the hair root are damaged so the hair loss is permanent.The common causes of scarring alopecia are:1) Traumatic2) Lichen planopilaris : characterised by scarring alopecia with pigmentation on the patch3) Pseudopalade of Broque: The margins of hair loss patch are irregular4) Post infective: after bacterial or fungal infectionIn non scarring alopecia, roots are preserved.The most common cause of non scarring alopecia is Alopecia aerata.It is most likely possibility in your case .For treatment, intralesional injection of steroid is the most preferable modal of treatment.I will advice you to visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription accordingly.You can share my opinion with him.I hope it helps.Take care.