Unexpected Pregnancy & on Potent Arthritis Meds

Patient

Q: Hello, I am a 26 y.o. female with rheumatoid arthritis (for 14 yrs now) and bipolar disorder, and take several potent drugs. Methotrexate, Actemra, Plaqunel, Trazodone, Lamictal, and Adderall. I have just found out that my husband and I are unexpectedly pregnant. Should I stop these medications immediately to give my child a chance? Or is it too late?

Doctor

As you have already been on Methotrexate and Adderall, Actemra, Plaqunel, Trazodone, Lamictal for months together now and have accidentally conceived, then it is to be understood that these are unsafe for pregnancy and can cause congenital anomalies in your child. It is suggested that you wait for the heartbeat to be seen, if not seen by 7-8 weeks, then it is likely to be a missed abortion as nature has its own way of selecting the fittest for survival and young not contemplate early abortion if you are emotional about pregnancy here.

But with methotrexate in prescription, it is better to terminate the pregnancy and plan in the future only after stopping these medications for atlas 3 months prior under guidance of your Physician.

Hope this helps.