Unexplained chronic left rib pain made worse by sitting some relief with applied pressure

Patient

Q: I have been experiencing chronic daily pain in my lower left ribs just under my breast for the past 6 months. The onset was sudden and unexplained. The pain is very localized to one area that is tender to the touch when tryng to locate the exact location of the pain. The pain is relieved most of the time with constant applied pressure like holding my ribs with my hand or forearm and it is always made worse when sitting. in fact once i get up in the morning if I do not immediately put on the ribs belt and sometimes even when I do, I can only drive about 2 or 3 blocks before the pain starts. It is less painful walking or standing. I have been wearing a rib belt all day every day because this is the only way that I can function and make it through work. Some days the pain cannot be relieved at all.

Many years a go I had a rib out of place and was treated by a chiropractor. At times this seems to be kind of the same type of feeling because sometimes my back hurts on the left side as well but not all the time like the front.

I have been to the doctor a few times and xrays were taken twice to see if I had broken my rib the results were negative. I have had no trauma to the area.
THe few times I have been to the chiropractor for an adjustmentwhen the back pain is present it feels like something pops very lightly like my rib is setting back in, in the painful area in the back which makes the back pain go away but the front pain is always there.

I just finished a round of prednisone 3 pills a day for 5 days, 2 pills a day for 5 days and 1 pill a day for 5days. I experienced no relief from the pain.

I take lortab 5-325 to try to help me sleep at night. It bearly dulls the pain.

What is causing this pain

Doctor