Unidentified shoulder pain

Patient

Q: Hello.

I just recently started swimming, and while my technique (body rotation, flat hand etc.) is good enough to not cause any problems, rotator cuff injuries are a scary thought. I'm making this entry as to ease my anxiety over said subject.

The pain I'm experiencing is a sharp one, but not on the front as usually in rotator cuff injuries, but on the back, 2-3 inches from the edge of the deltoid to the side and 3 inches down from the top of the acromion and is felt on a single vertical muscle strand. The area of pain is less than 1,5 inches long. It is not an acute pain, but I've felt it when swimming occasionally. It's also not a very intense one. It hurts to press, but it hurt less before I started feeling it.

It may be that it simply hurts due to deconditioning, but it's such a small spot that it'd be weird. I tried to feel which stretch works that specific bit, and I found one: if I do a basic deltoid stretch where I extend my right arm to the left while pressing it toward my body with the other arm, AND lift it up around my jaw level, it stretches.

Maybe it's an inflamed deltoid? I just want to be sure and rule out the worst-case scenarios.

Cheers!

Doctor