Unilateral inguinal swelling

Patient : Hello, I'm a 30 year old female. My husband of 2 years has recently developed a unilateral enlarged inguinal lymph node (vertical group) on the right side. At first it was the size of a small bean and he thought it was a pimple so he tried popping it. Later on it became very red, sore, hard and started growing in size (at the same time he had a mild cold). We have been in a monogamous relationship since we met, I have been faithful and I am completely confident he has been as well. I, myself, do not have any problems. My ex partner from three years ago had the same problem (a single swollen inguinal lymph node, without any other symptoms), when we were together, and I also had developed an unusual vaginal discharge therefore I went to the gynecologist who diagnosed me with trichomoniasis and prescribed me and my ex partner with metronidazole. I went to the gynecologist for a chek up a couple of months after the treatment and she said I was O.K. and that I don't need to worry that I have chlamydia or other STD's. I've been completely fine ever since, but I am scarred, because the situation with my husband is exactly the same as it was with my ex partner 3 years ago, the only difference being, me not have any problems. My ex partner, however, told me that just recently he had one enlarged inguinal lymph node again, so he went to the doctor's, was prescribed antibiotics and the problem went away. I don't know if it is just a coincidence or could it be an STD that was left unnoticed and untreated since the present day. I am worried sick, because I've never been tested for all STD's (because I've never engaged in risky sexual behaviour). Me and my husband have been having unprotected sex for 2 years now and until this day, we (he) didn't have any problems or symptoms. I visit the gynecologyst regularly, every two years . Do you think it is something I should worry about and the events could be related or is this whole thing only a coincidence? Thank you very much for your answer and best regards, Ann
Symptoms:  Unilateral ingunal lymph node is swollen, cold
Doctor :   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi Doctor, I am 37 year old male and I have been in a relationship for 7 years. I had an sti test at the start of the...

Q: Wanting advice on whether I have an STI. Near the opening of my penis on one side there is a raised bump that is not ...

Q: Hi , I'm in a long distance relationship with my partner who was just tested for std's for the first time. After the ...

Q: I've one wart on my anus, but I've been in a monogamous relationship for > 20 yrs. Neither of us has ever had geni...

Q: Around rim of my penis head is red


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon