Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Unintentional weight loss – what could be the reason?

Unintentional weight loss – what could be the reason?

Patient: Im 17 and from the age of 10 i was 225 pound all of a sudden i start looenweight with in 5 monthes i am 178 pounds i have not been sick and im alway tired or sleep is this nornal?

Doctor: Though losing weight without trying might sound like a dream come true, I would be slightly concerned because you’ve los t more than 10% of your body weight during the past five months. An unexplained drop in weight could be caused by various conditions — including overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), diabetes, depression, liver disease, cancer or disorders that interfere with how your body absorbs nutrients (malabsorption disorders). I would advise that you see your doctor for a full physical and blood-work to rule out the above mentioned problems.