Unknown bruising on spine with lower back pain

Patient: I have had lower back pain on my right side in one specific spot for over four months. Also, along my spine there are bruises. I have seen a doctor and had multiple x-rays. I have also been to chiro and physio appointments but they do not know what is wrong.

Symptoms: Severe pain

Doctor: Thank you for your question. The pain and bruising you are experiencing may not be related to the spine given the negati ve diagnostic results you have received. You may have a problem with the muscles of the lower back. These muscles can be easily strained, resulting in pain, swelling, and in some causes contusion-like bruising which can be visible. It is important that you take an inventory of any and all activities that you are doing which may exacerbate muscle strains of the lower back. This may include heavy lifting, pulling, pushing, or evening sitting at a desk for prolonged hours. If you are able to identify any of these, it would help if you avoid these these types of activities while your back heals, and continue with physiotherapy or massage therapy (if prescribed by your doctor), to facilitate the healing process. Please follow up with another evaluation by your doctor, especially while this bruising is visible, in order for your doctor to conduct the best assessment of your illness. We hope you feel better very soon.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com