Unknown knee pain from old injury.

Q: I was skiing about 4 years ago when my knees twisted out of my skiis and I felt a tingling/numbing sensation for about a minute. The feeling subsided but I have had knee pain every since. I was once told it was patellofemoral pain syndrome and that 6 weeks of physio would heal it, well it didn't. I also feel like they didn't believe me because it didn't hurt to the touch, only to do activities. At this point, when I bend down it feels like I have been stabbed with a knife in the side of my knee. Could I have injured it 4 years ago and not know? Or is it likely arthritis?

Symptoms:  Ache, sharp pains

Thank you for posting your query on ATD.
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.It is unlikely to be arthritis as it is uncommon in your age.It is either Patellofemoral syndrome or soft tissue injury such as meniscus injury which you got 4 years back. It is confirmed by MRI of knee joint. Quadriceps exercises are useful.
Hope your query get answered.
Wishing you a good health.
Take care.