Unplanned and Unprotected Sex

Patient

Q: My boy friend and I had unplanned and unprotected sex on the 21st of February. I started ovulation on the 23rd. For the past week and a half I have been moody, I’ve had light cramping (almost like menstrual cramps), and I’ve felt waves of nausea on and off. For the past few days my nipples have been extremely sensitive and I’ve had to go to the bathroom more frequently. Also, for about 2 weeks I’ve been having bad gas and increased bowl movements. Could I possibly be pregnant? And if so, would it be too early to take a test? How would I tell my mom?

Doctor

A:   Hello, I realize that you are concerned about possible pregnancy. It might be a little early to relate the symptoms that you have to a possible pregnancy, however if the risk of it is present a home pregnancy test would be recommended.
Usually it is best to take it a week after your loss of menses to have better results but it could be taken 9 to 12 days post conception. If the results were positive, it would be better to confirm them with a blood pregnancy test done by your health care provider. Since you are now around 14 days post conception, it would not be advisable to take emergency contraception at this time.
If the results were negative and you would like to avoid pregnancies, you could ask your health care provider for more information about them, he or she would kindly explain them to you and also suggest you the best alternative. I wish you the best.