Unprotected first time sex and Plan B

Patient

Q: I was a virgin and my partner too. We had sex for the first time,few hours before now.but we didn't use any kind of protection method. To stop getting pregnant what methods can we use now? heard about Plan B,is it one of them??

Doctor

A:   Yes Plan B is an effective emergency contraceptive measure that can help prevent pregnancy, when taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex. It is maximum effective if taken within first 12 hours of unprotected sex. However, this is only an emergency contraceptive method that should not be used to replace the regular methods of contraception.