Unprotected Sex and missed period

Patient

Q: Need to speak with a doctor asap! on mar 8 my boyfriend and i had sexual intercourse. it was the first time penetration occurred, he was only about an inch inside...only the head of the penis...,my hymn broke since i did bleed a little and there was no ejaculation...he did it elsewhere, no where near the vagina... if my last period started feb 11 and ended feb 17 or 18 and i have a 28 or 29 day cycle...my period isn't too irregular it can be a day or two off at most, but never fails to come.... will it be likely that i'll get my period in a couple of days...since today is mar 11 and hasn't shown up...? what are the chances of being pregnant? what would you suggest?

Doctor

A:   Since you had sexual intercourse during your fertile period there may be chances that you are pregnant. However since you claim that there was no ejaculation into or near the vagina that may decrease those chances .Moreover it is important to remember that a cycle can vary from 28-30 days and thus you must give or take a few days here and there to expect your period. However I advice you to take a pregnancy test 5-7 days after your missed period as thats when the test works the best in detecting the levels of Beta hcg in the urine and thus detecting pregnancy.