Unprotected sex on period, morning after pill, bleed again.

Patient

Q: Hi there, I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend during the last few days of my period. We then immediately used a "morning after pill". After that, my period stopped. It is now 6 days after that and I have started bleeding dark spots. Could this be early signs of pregnancy or because of the morning after pill? Please help. Thanks

Doctor

A:   While you are having a period, it is highly unlikely that you conceive except if you have very short cycles ( less than 23 days). This is because the chances of you ovulating during your period are very low. In addition to the natural protection you have taken a morning after pill. It is therefore highly unlikely that you could be pregnant.
The morning after pill contains hormones that alter the regular growth of the endometrium ie. lining of the uterus (womb) sometimes even resulting in an abnormal shedding pattern. The untimely bleeding you noticed is most likely just a side effect of the pill. Hope you find this information reassuring.