Unprotected sex with Mirena?

Patient: Hi,Ive had the Mirena IUD since October last year and up until now my boyfriend and I have been using condoms as a second form of birth control. We are both monogamous and have been tested for STDs and STIs so I was wondering if not using a condom and relying 100% on the Mirena for preventing unwanted pregnancies was a option?

Symptoms: –

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Mirena is a hormone releasing (levonorgestral) intrauterine device to prevent pregnancy and i s also used to treat heavy periods in women. Since you say you are monogamous and have been tested free of any STI’s or STD’s it may be safe to have sex without a condom. But no contraceptive methods provide 100% safety in avoiding an unwanted pregnancy, exceptions are always there. There may be a chance that the mirena is not in place and can lead to a pregnancy, or in cases the release of hormone is not effective etc. But these instances are rare.Hope that answers your query.Have a good day.

View all posts