Unspecified finger injury when weightlifting

Patient : Hello! Today my boyfriend was weightlifting as he put the bar down, he cut his finger pretty deep. His finger was not broken but he had to go in for surgery. Can you tell me why?
Doctor :   The information that you provided is very vague, then I will try to answer your question in a general manner. Possibly t he deep cut affected tendons or ligaments that should be repaired by the surgery in the view that there is no fracture as you stated. Also is very important that you make sure that he received the Tetanus toxoid.