Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Unsterrle dye used in surgery

Unsterrle dye used in surgery

Patient: Why wife had a procedure to put stents in her bile duct after gallbladder surgery, they were not working so on Wed. they were removed and replaced with a different type of stent. On Thurs. she called the Dr. office to tell them she was in extreme pain and was told to come in. Upon talking to the Dr. he told her” I shot unsterile dye into your abdomen to see where I was working”.He called another Dr. and relayed this to him and was told to admit her imediately, she is having surgery today to “washout” any infection. Is this common practice to use “unsterile” anything in the body and could this be a cause for the “washout”?

Doctor: It is NOT common practice to use unsterile material during abdominal surgery and without intimate knowledge of your wife ‘s medical histroy and previous surgery I cannot say what has caused her infection. If any unsterile material was used during the procedure, then this would certainly increase her chances of developing an infection.