Unsure about when I should start to take 'the pill'.

Patient

Q: I already have the prescription from my GP for the contraceptive pill - Microgynon 30, but I am confused as to when I am to start to take it. I do not need it for contraception right now, but for irregular periods.

My GP told me to take it the day after my next period stops, but he also said to carefully read the leaflet that come with the pill and to follow the instructions in there. The instructions on the leaflet say to take it at the beginning of my period. I've been looking on various medical sites also and they all say something different.

As I don't know when my next period will be I was wondering whether I should take it as soon as possibly or wait to the time my doctor told me to?

Doctor