Unsure what to expect from knee orthopedic appointment after eight years of pain.

Q: I am a 22 year old female and overall healthy. I played competitive tennis my entire life. 8 years ago I began experiencing severe pain after physical activity. Was told my kneecap was not tracking correctly which was causing cartilage deterioration. They fitted me for a brace to wear during activity and sent me to physical therapy. I went though physical therapy but I feel it aggravated it even more.

The past 8 years I have dealt with the pain after activity, taken advil, and iced a lot. I have now stopped playing competitive because of the pain I experience after running and any physical activity, for that matter, is just not worth it; the pain is generally localized right next to the kneecap on the medial side.

However, this past month the pain has gotten worse where it has hurt to walk and go up stairs. That pain lasted about 1 week and it has gotten better, but it scared me enough to make an appointment with an orthopedic just to see what's going on. What should I expect they're going to tell me. I feel as though there really isn't a solution for this.