Untreated Thoracic Scoliosis

Patient: Can untreated thoracic scoliosis cause back of neck pain & 1 side of upper limb dow from shoulder to fingertips numbness & pain? If so what can I do? & I’ve done cortisone & trigger point injections, physical therapy, pain medication, & heat & cold packs & still not working.

Symptoms: Pain in back of neck, right shoulder pain down to my wrist & fingers & they’re in severe pain & numbless

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Yes, this can lead to chronic pain as the curvature of the thoracic spine can cause impinge ment of the nerves in this area and neck leading to your pain symptoms. After coriticosteroid injections wear off, the pain will return. Please follow up with a consultation of an orthopaedic surgeon to assess the severity of your scoliosis. You may need surgical correction of it, after which months of rehabilitation will be required. Once you recovery, you may expect to have your pain resolved. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com