Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Unusual cough after flu

Unusual cough after flu

Patient: I have been Ill for the past month starting with a chest infection then the flu. To just having a cough then i got the flu again but twice as bad. I have just recovered from the flu, I had a lot of Orange Juice in this time and threw up quite a bit. Now that its over i have a strange pain in the back of my throat and a cough, when ever i drink it is followed by burps and i any food i eat i cough back up other than very small food or liquid food (soup). When i do cough my nose then fills with thick mucus i am then able to blow out. From time to time i do get a burning sensation from my throat as well. (I hope this is detailed enough)

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.It looks like you have an aspiration related issue. The causes could also be a gastroes ophageal reflux disease, esophageal hernia, obesity or even severe gastritis which presents with such symptoms. Also, if you are a chronic smoker, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease can also be a cause. It is recommended that you consult a physician immediately and get an examination done. An endoscopy of the upper GI tract can be recommended by the doctor to rule out a few conditions. Meanwhile, we need to rule out asthma and other infections of the lung too. Treatment would be started based on the reports.Hope this helped.Regards

View all posts