Unusual periods

Q: Hi. I became a parent 8 months ago, my periods after were normal. But recently they have changed, I have been on my period for just over 1 month now, but it's dark brown old blood & sometimes has little clots in. I found a small lump on the inside of my vagina too, like a little smaller than a pea. Thanks

Symptoms:  Sometimes my cagina stings

A:   Thank you for your query.
Prolonged menstrual bleeding or menorrhagia maybe due to various reasons. The reasons
can vary from simple to ones that may need medical intervention. Since you are
complaining of bleeding from over a month it is advised to see the doctor who will
diagnose the underlying reason after a series of tests. Based on which she can prescribe
medication. Generally they will be in the form of simple birth control pills etc, which will
help normalise any hormonal imbalance, thus restore the normal menstrual pattern. The
normal cycle pattern being from 21 to 35 days. Regarding the lump probably it is Bartholin
gland which has become a cyst, or may have become infected. Your doctor will examine it
and probably send in a swab for culture. She will then advice simple remedies to wash the
area with warm water 3-4 times a day. Occasionally the cyst may require drain depending on
the severity which is a very minor surgical procedure.

Take Care. Have a Good day!