Unusual urine smell, could it be diabetes?

Patient

Q: About four months ago, I started to notice a smell when I go to the bathroom, usually when I first wake up, though sometimes it's there the second or third time I pee, sometimes it's not there at all; but overall it's been there long enough to make me start worrying about it. It's this unusual, cornflake-like smell, is the best way I can describe it. It's not terribly over-powering, but it is scary, as my mother has diabetes which has lead me to extensively research it.
I don't feel as though I have any of the other early signs of diabetes, but I am overweight and not as active as I should be.

I've been feeling extremely guilty as I shamefully ate a tub of icing over a one/two week period (on top of the usual over-indulgence of the holidays) and am worried if that might have pushed me over the edge, but, I also was just recently taken off of some medication that's been having lingering side effects, and I wonder if maybe that has something to do with it as well. I was hoping you could clear up any unreasonable fears I have, or if I need to go see someone personally about this.
Thank you for your time and patience!

Symptoms:  Unusual smell, white/pale yellow urine
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
Smelly urine can be an indirect symptom of diabetes. As if you have diabetes you are prone to Infections. And if you get Urinary infection then this can be the reason behind your smelly Urine.
I would advise you to get following investigations:
1. Urine Routine and Microscopy.
2. Fasting and Post Prandial Blood sugar levels.
In case everything comes out to be normal then this can be due to fungal infection or Pelvic Inflammatory disease. An Ultrasound of Pelvic Organs is required for the same.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.