Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Unusuall bleeding during period.

Unusuall bleeding during period.

Patient: My period was supposed to come on dec 25 but it didnt come. and the 26th of dec in the afternoon after i took a shower i had a light bleeding i thought it was my period coming already but until now dec 27 it didnt get heavy its still light and pink i can only see it when im wiping. i took pregnancy test and it came out negative. this never happened before. and im getting hot flashes

Symptoms: One day late and very light bleeding.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Some women can have premenstrual spotting due to hormonal imb alance and usually it will turn into normal menstrual flow soon.Hot flashes can also be seen due to hormonal imbalance.And sometimes only scanty flow can be seen during periods, which is called hupomenorrhea.It can occur due to many causes like stress and strain or weight changes leading to gonadal hormonal imbalance, thyroid hormonal abnormalities, prolactin level changes etc.Usually urine pregnancy test kit can give accurate result one week after expected date of periods.So, wait for few more days.If your flow remains as spotting, repeat urine pregnancy test.If test gives negative result again there is less possibility for pregnancy.Take care.