Upper Back and Sternum Pain Three Weeks After Falling Down Stairs

Patient

Q: I fell down the stairs 3 and a half weeks ago after slipping on the hardwood whilst wearing socks. I was unable to brace for the fall as my hands were full and landed on my upper back (middle of shoulder blades), hit my head, and bruised my tailbone area quite badly. I felt very sore for a good 4 days afterwards and was able to return to regular activity after a week or so with daily dosages of ibuprofen and applying ice. Throughout the 3.5 weeks I've experienced ongoing upper back and chest pain in my sternum area. I know it is quite possible to have fractured a rib, but since there was no 'shooting' pain I assumed I was in the clear and didn't feel the need to visit my doctor as they can't do much for ribs. I'm wondering what could possibly be causing my upper back and chest pain after several weeks have passed or if these issues are now long-term?

Doctor