x
150 Physicians Online

Question:

Upper back pain after a fall

I am a 32 year old woman. A couple of months ago i fell down my concrete steps when walking outside. My feet came right out from under me and my upper back took the brunt of the fall. After the fall it took me a couple of minutes to get back up and the pain was very severe. I just decided that i would give it a couple of days to see if the pain would subside. It took a couple of weeks but i seemed to get better. But now i am noticing that some days i am getting the pain back again in my upper back. Some days it is not bad and others it is really bad. Is this something i should get looked at? Or that may just need more time. I have never had an upper back problem so i know the pain is from the fall.

Answer:

Most likely the pain may be consequence of the fall and will tend to disappear with time, but if you have other symptoms as for example: “pins and needles” sensation, numbness in the neck or arms, persistent pain radiated to shoulder or arms, I recommend you to consult a Orthopedic surgeon that perform a physical examination and order some imaging studies as MRI to assess the status of your upper back to rule out other possible complications due to the fall.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA