Upper back pain only when sleeping

Q: I twisted my upper back one day at work and it was a little achy for a while, but nothing bad. Now I get achy in my upper/middle back when I sleep, but when I awaken and move around I feel better (but still slightly noticeable). The pain keeps coming back once I have laid down for a while, and this never used to happen before. I think it's related to whatever I did to myself at work. It doesn't seem to be subsiding. What can I do? Are there stretches I can do for my upper back? I'm certain it's not a spinal issue, but I don't know how to go about helping these muscles return to a normal state.

Symptoms:  Upper back (between shoulder blades), middle back

A:   Thank you for your question. What seems to have occurred here is that you may have strained muscles in your upper back. This could be directly related to the event that happened at your job. We would like you to ere on the side of caution and have your back examined by your doctor to rule out any serious injury to your spine. Once this is ruled out, we recommend that you follow your doctors treatment recommendations. In general, back muscle strains need to be treated by resting your back on a flat surface and avoiding strenuous activity which can exacerbate the pain. You may also be prescribed oral analgesic medication to treat your pain symptoms. Furthermore, we recommend that you apply a warm heating pad to your upper back to assist in keeping the strained muscles loose, this will also reduce your pain. Try not to make any sudden movements while recovering as this too can aggravate your pain. If your pain does not improve within 2-3 weeks, please return to your doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com