Upper outer left thigh bulging

Patient : I am 57 and I noticed my left upper outer thigh is bigger, (swollen or bulging, than other thigh. I cannot feel a lump. It is near the hip. It doesn't hurt unless I lay on it. Also, my knee on that leg hurts.
Doctor :   Your swollen thigh could be the result of cellulitis, an abscess or musculo-skeletal trauma. If the swelling is restrict ing your movements and day to day activities, I would consider showing it to a doctor. An x-ray of the hip may be required to rule out any joint problems.