Upper right quadrant discomfort

Patient

Q: Looking for advice on upper right quadrant discomfort. Is there a way to rule out liver abnormality/dysfunction or cancer without a very expensive test/scan?

Symptoms:  Several months ago I started to have some discomfort - mostly just tightness beneath lower right ribs. At first thought it might have been a muscle pull, but it has persisted and even increased in level of discomfort/tightness. It feels as though there is some pressure under my right rib. Had a blood test after talking with doctor - CBC, CMP and lipid panel. Only showed slightly elevated LDL levels (105). What should I do next? Am between insurance and not very confident in local (rural) docs. Am otherwise healthy but cannot help but fear something like liver cancer.
Doctor

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

It seems you are suffering from Acid Peptic Disease.
In case of right upper abdominal pain, following issues should be considered and investigated:
1. Gall Bladder stones
2. Liver problems.
I would advise following in such scenario:

1. To take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone.
2. To take soft, bland diet.
3. To take anti flatulent and anti-acidity syrup like Digene.

Even if your problem persists, you should get:
1. Liver Function test
2. Ultrasound Abdomen.
These investigations are not too costly. CT scans are not required at this level.

Share my opinion with your doctor. I am sure he/she will agree to this.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy