Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Urethral Sphincter Dysfunction Surgical Treatment

Urethral Sphincter Dysfunction Surgical Treatment

Patient: I am having urethral sphincter muscle repair. What exactly does this surgery consist of? I am having this surgery done on March the 2nd.

Doctor: There is more than one surgical procedure that can address urethral sphincter dysfunction. I am not sure which procedure your surgeon has recommended for you. Anyone of the following procedures may be performed depending on the severity of your condition.. This can be performed under local or regional anesthesia. Collagen is injected into the tissues around the urethral sphincter to ‘bulk up’ the muscle and achieve bladder control..  During this procedure a portion of your abdominal tissue is used to create a sling around the urethra. this creates sufficient urethral compression and prevents leakage of urine.There are various medical devices that can be implanted to prevent incontinence.