Urethral Sphincter Dysfunction Surgical Treatment

Patient

Q: I am having urethral sphincter muscle repair. What exactly does this surgery consist of? I am having this surgery done on March the 2nd.

Doctor

A:   There is more than one surgical procedure that can address urethral sphincter dysfunction. I am not sure which procedure your surgeon has recommended for you. Anyone of the following procedures may be performed depending on the severity of your condition.

. This can be performed under local or regional anesthesia. Collagen is injected into the tissues around the urethral sphincter to 'bulk up' the muscle and achieve bladder control.
.  During this procedure a portion of your abdominal tissue is used to create a sling around the urethra. this creates sufficient urethral compression and prevents leakage of urine.
There are various medical devices that can be implanted to prevent incontinence.