Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > URGENT! Can I take another medication?

URGENT! Can I take another medication?

Patient: Hi,I am visiting US for few weeks and heading back to my home country on Monday. I ran out of my diabetes medication. I am currently taking Amaryl (Glimepiride) 2mg and also Glucophage (Metformin) 750 mg. I ran out of amaryl and I was wondering if it’s okay to take glipizide for few days until I get back home on Tuesday? If so, what should the quantity be? I am also taking Diovan at 80mg for BP. Please let me know as soon as you can!Thank you,George

Doctor: Thanks for question, dear patient You can take glipizide 5mg twice daily instead of amryl 2mg and continue other medicat ions as advised earlier by your doctor. But once you are back home kindly check your blood sugar levels and consult your doctor.