Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Urinary and bladder issues

Urinary and bladder issues

Patient: I have had UTI like symptoms for the past two months such as burning after urination and urgency. My urine tested negative for UTI. OBGYN thinks beta strep b vaginal. Can that cause these symptoms? DAy two of penicillin and no improvement. Also feel bloated. Worry I have IC! I also switched back to my old birth control because I was worried that also contributed but no improvement yet. Please help!

Symptoms: Urgency, bloating, irritated urethra/vagina

Doctor: Burning micturition is not only seen in UTI but also in conditions like STDs like bacterial vaginosis, atrophic vaginiti s, etc. Usually urine sample might be normal but a culture report always gets positive result or a pap smear will be more helpful. Can’t say if pencillin works for the condition, as it depends on the the sensitivity towards antibiotic. Always urine culture along with antibiotic sensitivity tests done will help to find out appropriate antibiotic and then be treated accordingly. For further information, consult your gynecologist.