Urinary frequency and urgency

Patient

Q: For the last 3 weeks I have been urinating over 10 times a day. It is starting to interfere with my work. I am not drinking more than normal, and I do not drink an excess of caffeine. I am on a high blood pressure med, but not a diuretic. Also, sometimes, when I stand up, it doesn't feel like my bladder is empty. I do not have to get up in the middle of the night to go. I am a 28 yr. old female. I also have no pain.

Doctor

A:   I realize your concern about your frequent urination. Since you suffer from high blood pressure, the medication that you take not necessarily has to be a diuretic to increase your urine frequency.
It is also recommended to screen for other conditions that are sometimes related to hypertension, such as Diabetes. Diabetes can increase the frequency and volume of urine as. However this diagnosis usually is accompanied with increased thirst and increased appetite as well.
Lastly a common urinary tract infection is one of the most common conditions that could also increase the urinary frequency and especially urgency to urinate; I would suggest you to watch for other symptoms such as burning while urinating and consult your physician for a more detailed evaluation. The first test that might need to be done in order to guide us would be a urine test, after that we would have a more clear view of your probable diagnosis. I wish you the best.