Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Urinary Track Infection or Bacterial Vaginosis?

Urinary Track Infection or Bacterial Vaginosis?

Patient: I have a white creamy discharge and symptoms of a UTI. The symptoms just started today, but I have had this reoccurring for about 1 1/2 years. I’m 17 years old and I am sexually active. I have been treated for a UTI, yeast infections, and also bacterial vaginosis. These symptoms usually occur one week before and 1 week after my period. It doesn’t happen after every period, but most. My last period was on December 22nd. Do you have an idea of what I could have?

Symptoms: White creamy discharge, uti symptoms

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Before menstruation some amount of increased vaginal discharg e can be seen physiologically.If discharge is associated with smell and itching etc, there is possibility of pathological discharge.Menstrual flow decreases local resistance of genital tract, which can increase susceptibility to infection.Urinary tract infection symptoms can be seen due to congestion during periods and because of spreading of infection.As you are having recurrent infection, better to go for vaginal swab culture and sensitivity and urine culture and sensitivity to find out the causative organism and its sensitivity.Both partners to be treated simultaneously to prevent cross infection.Change tampons or sanitary pads in every 6 to 8 hours, prolonged usage of same tampon can also lead to infection.Take care.