Urinary Tract Infection

Patient

Q: I tested positive from a AZO test strip for a UTI. I started antibiotics Ciprofloxacn 250 mg 1 every 12 hrs. 4 days ago. I am still having flank pain ,pain and burning. No fever. I become very weak at end of day...What is the duration of a UTI? Never had one..and never hope to have another one!!

Symptoms:  Flank pain of both sides..
burning and slight pain around bladder
urgency to urinate
no fever
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Certain urinary tract infections may take some time to respond to antibiotic treatment even after the course is finished. You should have experienced some relief in your symptoms since starting antibiotics. It seems as though that the infection has spread to up the renal ureters to the kidneys resulting in the flank pain, burning, and weakness you are experiencing. This is referred to as acute pyelonephritis. You will need to have your doctor reexamine you and possibly be started on a stronger course of antibiotics. It is important to act promptly as acute pyelonephritis can rapidly worsen resulting in kidney damage.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com