Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Urinary tract infection

Urinary tract infection

Patient: I have had 2 urinary tracr infections this year one in june and one in august. Is there a reason why I had 2 so close together, was treated for both of them.

Doctor: I realize how worried you must be about your recurrent urinary tract infections. Besides the usual risk factors that wom en have that favors the development of these infections such as short Urethra and proximity to the anal region. Women tend to decrease their estrogen levels in average after the age of 50.The decrease in estrogen production that occurs after menopause can thin the vaginal and vulvar tissues around the urethra (atrophic vaginitis and atrophic urethritis), which can predispose a woman to repeated episodes of cystitis. In addition, a drooping (prolapsed) uterus or bladder may cause poor emptying of the bladder and predispose to cystitis. A prolapsed uterus or bladder is more common in women who have had many children. I would suggest you to drink plenty of fluids to constantly flush the bacteria from your urethra by urinating frequently. Wipe gently from front to back and urinate after having intercourse. I wish you the best.