Urinary Tract Infection can adequate hydration cure it?

Q: So I might possibly have a urinary tract infection, and heard that its possible to cure it by drinking alot of water so that you urinate more frequently and flush the harmful bacteria from the body. My question is how long would I need to increase water intake before I start seeing myself get better? I also heard drinking cranberry juice can also help. The thing is though, I've tried increasing my water intake before for about 5 hours, and I didnt notice a difference in my problems. Similarly I've also drank cranberry juice (a large glass for 3 days) and have no seen no aid either, which is why I'm asking for how long im supposed to do it, because I might have done it incorrectly or not for long enough. The problems I have are described in another question on this site that was thankfully very quickly responded to, but I will repost them here so that you know what they are: Hi, I think I might have a potential urinary problem, so I wanted to know if this was normal. Im a 22 year old male, and recently I noticed something strange when I urinate. When I get close to finishing urinating, my stream seems to settle to a constant drip and then end. Though, after my urination ends, if I flex the muscle down there, some more urine squirts out, and I can do this 2-3 times before it stops. Also, sometimes when im done urinating, I still get a sensation, and if I wait, more urine will come out. This had never happened before, and I had only noticed it about a few months ago. I also feel as if im going to the bathroom more frequently, about once every hour - hour and a half. So any help would be appreciated, thank you.

A:   Though increased fluid/water intake and cranberry juice may help to flush the bacteria and decrease the symptoms of urinary irritation, they are not a substitute for antibiotics which may be required for a bacterial infection. I would suggest you to consult your doctor for a urinalysis and culture. Long standing untreated urinary tract infection may lead to pyelonephritis.