Urinary Tract Infection Medication

Q: What kind of anti-biotics should i take for a urinary tract infection.

Symptoms:  Burning while urinating

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Any Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) needs evaluation of the cause so that you don't get the repeat episodes. The most common causes of UTI are Diabetes, Stones in the renal tract and Sexually transmitted. You need to get an Ultrasound Abdomen and Urine culture. No antibiotics should be started before giving a sample of urine culture, otherwise the report can be affected. If any stone is found you would be treated based on size, site of the stone. If Urine infection is found you would be given antibiotics based on culture report. If you have any ongoing fever, you doctor would take your urine for culture and sensitivity and will start you on antibiotics that would be modified based on the culture report. You should drink plenty of water.

Share my opinion with your doctor.
Stay Healthy