Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Urinary tract infection or serious kidney damage

Urinary tract infection or serious kidney damage

Patient: Pain and stinging a day before then suddenly red bleeding while urine. Happened in one night no bleeding urine pink and still pain, associated with left ankle swelling. Am I in kidneys serious problem and will die or just a UTI?

Doctor: I do understand your concern, your symptoms could have been caused by a urinary tract infection or kidney stones. It is unlikely that an acute infection will cause kidney damage. I would suggest that you see a doctor for urinalysis, kidney function tests, urine culture, ultrasound of the kidneys, ureters and bladder and cystoscopy if required. Antibiotics is definitely indicated in the presence of infection.