Urinary tract infections: Causes and Preventive methods

Patient

Q: How do you get a urinary tract infection?and what can you do so you dont get a urinary tract infection?

Doctor

A:   Urinary tract infections are very common. They are usually diagnosed through a urine test and clinical symptoms. There are many causes of UTI's , the main one being Ascending infection ( from the urethra/vagina upwards) which is usually caused by gastointestinal organisms like e.coli.Sometimes there is blood borne method of infection for example if one has a abcess near the kidney that infection can travle through the blood and cause a UTI.  The typical symptoms of a UTI are burning on urination, increased frequency and urgency, foul smelling and cloudy urine sometimes accompanied with suprapubic pain.
There are various methods to avoid UTI's. Women are specifically more susceptible to it due to the short urethra and its proximity to the vagina. Some protective methods are voiding just before and after sexual intercourse, wiping the genital area from front to back and not vice versa, daily ingestion of cranberry juice has been proved to have some  protective effect, avoid using vaginal douches, bubble baths as they case vaginal and urethral irritation, wearing loose cotton panties.  I hope this helps.