Urinate too much after drinking water / tea

Patient

Q: Every time after I drink water/tea I always find myself going to the bathroom to urine a lot. I think I drink way too much ? Because it always takes me 3~4 visits to the bathroom every 20 minutes or so to empty myself completely from water consumption. Short note here is that I do urinate normally, in terms of odor or color, when I must and I don't urinate as much as it worries me if I don't drink anything.

I worry about this because I'm only 20 years old and every night I consume water along with soup during my dinner and visits bathroom more often than my parents have afterward, who don't consume water but only soup.

Is my body alright ?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your frequent urination could be indeed be caused by your increased fluid intake. You have not described any other symptoms that would lead us to surmise that your frequent urination could be caused by a chronic condition such as diabetes melitus or diabetes insipidus. If your frequent urination increases without any increase in your fluid intake, and you also develop excessive thurst, we recommend that you see your doctor to be assessed for diabetes as a possible cause of your frequent urination. It is possible that this should not be a cause of concern for you.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com