Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Urine smells like insulin

Urine smells like insulin

Patient: My urine smells strongly like insulin (my diabetic mother uses injection insulin so i recognize the smell). i am not diabetic myself, although i do frequently have low blood sugar (35 – 45) even after eating. should i be worried about the smell?

Symptoms: urine smells like insulin

Doctor: Thank you for your question. We are unable to to determine what could actually be causing this odour. We recommend that you see your doctor and have a urine test performed. Urine odour can change from time to time as a normal phenomenon, however sudden changes in odour could be indicative of an underlying illness. For further evaluation, we recommend that you see your doctor.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com