Use of Anti malarial drugs in Pregnacy

Patient

Q: Hallow Doctor, mya wife is pregnat for almost two weeks now and she has taken malaria medicine known as artequick, i am asking could it be affect her pregnancy?

Doctor

A:   Artequick is a combination of artemisinin and piperaquine and is used in the treatment of malaria, especially in cases of  resistant P.falciparum malaria. Since there is no published human data regarding the safety of piperaquine and artemisinin  in pregnancy, I would advise against the use of artemisinin drugs in pregnant women, particularly during the first trimester.