Use of Etoshine(Etoricoxib Fast Disintearating, given by Dr. for Knee pain) in Prostate problem

Patient

Q: I have knee pain in left leg and the cartilage is damaged partly, a tablet twice a week has been referred to me, its name is -Etoshine 120 (Etoricoxib Fast Disintearating tablet). It gives me painless movements up to one week.

At the same time I am suffering from prostate problem (without cancer) and I am of 60 years, I used to feel pain in storage of urine resulting into urgent need to urinate and pain during urinating and no pain after urinating.

When I use above tablet it also removes pain in urinating and it also decreases urgent need to urinate.

My question is should I also use this tablet to remove pain in urinating etc. How does it affect the parts where there is pain? Does it remove swallowing causing pain? Or it is also a remedy to decrease the size of prostate causing pain in urination.

Doctor

A:   Hank you for your question. Etoricoxib is an anti-inflammatory pain medication of the selective COX-2 inhibitor class. It is indicated for the treatment of inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout. Since this drug acts throughout the body, it can assist in treating the pain associated with an enlarged prostate. However, this medication cannot decrease the size, or treat specific conditions related to the prostate gland.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com with your medical question.

Doctor: Thank you for writing to Ask The Doctor.

Etoshine contains Etoricoxib which has NSAID and blocks the COX-2 inhibitor. Thus Etoshine will have the following side effects:

Fatigue
Dizziness
Headache
Flu-like illness
Diarrhoea
Wind
Swelling of the legs and/or feet due to fluid retention (oedema)
Increased blood pressure
Nausea
Indigestion (dyspepsia)
Stomach pain or discomfort
Heartburn
Changes in blood tests related to your liver

If you are taking Etoshine 120, please be wary of these diseases. Also, if you have these symptoms on a regular basis, tell your Doctor before or when you are given Etoshine 120 tablets.

I hope this helps you.