Use of misoprostol and administration

Patient

Q: How can i use cytopan vaginally? i am 5 weeks pregnant and i want to abort.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Misoprostol is a medication that is commonly used to terminate pregnancy during the first trimester of pregnancy. Misoprostol is a prostaglandin analogue which dilates the cervix, causes uterine contractions, and can induce labor. This medication can be administered orally, dissolved between the gum and cheeks, and vaginally. Depending your doctor, it will be determined what administration will be best for you. Most doctors choose to administer misoprostol either orally or bucally (between gum and cheeks), as vaginal administration has been reported to cause vaginal infections in a small number of women. We recommend that you discuss this with your doctor and determine what will be the best method for termination of your pregnancy.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com