Use of multiple drugs in the treatment of asthma

Patient

Q: I have been given a new inhaler which is called a serevent evohaler (salmeterol xinafoate) but i also have my clenil modulite and salbutamol inhaler my question is am i ment to take all three and is it safe to do so ?

Doctor

A:   It is difficult for me to comment whether you should be taking the three inhalers together, this all depend on the severity of your symptoms. Clenil modulite is a corticosteriod used to decrease inflammation in the lungs, whereas salbutamol inhaler is a short-acting ?2-adrenergic receptor agonist used to prevent acute symptoms. Serevent evohaler is also a ?2-adrenergic receptor agonist but it usually takes care of long term symptoms. I would suggest that you speak with your doctor regarding your concerns about the use of multiple inhalers.